Monday, October 5, 2015

Words! Words! Words!

Vocabulary instruction is one of the areas of Literacy instruction that sometimes gets dull. The old Drill-n-Kill methods of vocabulary acquisition can become mind numbing after a few weeks. This goes for the students as well as the teacher.

One way we livened things up in class is to craft an unused bulletin board space into an interactive Boggle Board. I printed out these letters, glued them onto orange circles, and created my very own Boggle Board.

This is super easy to do yourself, or ask a parent volunteer to punch out the letters if you've got an Ellison die-cut machine.

One of my 'classroom jobs' is the Executive. My Executive is tasked with changing the letters on the Boggle Board each week and collecting the winning lists at the end of the week. The Executive also gets to access the Super Secret website that will give all the possible answers with any combination of letters.
(Click HERE for the link.) Please note that I am in no way affiliated with this website.


This makes for an excellent word study Work Station within my Literacy rotation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment